I loosely followed this tutorial, at least to get the general dimensions and shape to cut my fabric. And after giving my sister a glimpse at my stash (wow, that sounded suggestive) and thinking about the fabric she selected, I decided to quilt it to give it a little extra stability. The outer fabric is an Anna Maria Horner "Coordinates" rayon challis that I thrifted at the same time as the fabric for my butterfly dress.
The goodI LOVED doing the quilting on this. It was so meditative and enjoyable, and got me really excited to do more quilting projects. I also really liked the combination of outer and lining fabrics (the lining is a scrap left over from my mod floral dress).
I wish I had taken the time to source a zipper and piping that matched! But I was so impatient to get it done that I just used what I had in my stash. I also had trouble figuring out how to get the zipper sewn in and then turn the whole thing right-side out again, so I just sewed in the zipper by hand. I love hand-sewing, but I was a bit overzealous and stitched too close to the zipper in parts, making it hard to open and close.
This was a fun little project that would be a great stash-buster. With a bit more practice, I feel like I could easily knock out another one for a gift. I was really happy with the finished product and I can think of lots of ways that it could be modified (a more decorative zipper, adding a zipper pull, introducing a third fabric with a horizontal panel, etc.) to change it up a bit. I'm calling this a sewing win for sure.